Thursday 22 December 2011

Plaited Fabric Necklace....

Now the holidays are with us, I find it really relaxing to have a little play with pretty fabrics and get round to making some little things for myself. I always like to wear something handmade on Christmas day so thought I would get round to making a fabric necklace. I needed it to be a quick easy make, so opted for a simple plait design. I gathered some pretty fabric strips, 9 in total about 35" long and around 1-1.5" wide, though really I wanted this to be almost thrown together so didn't really stick to proper measurements....


I simply started by plaiting the first 3 strips together ( I enlisted the help of a child to hold the end whilst I plaited the the strips, makes it much easier and quicker to plait )....


As I wanted the edges as frayed as possible, I gave them a little fray as I went along....


Soon, after I had plaited each of the three strips together I was left with 3 long and very pretty fabric plaits....


After each of the 3 strips had been plaited I sewed both ends of each one securely on the sewing machine ( though of course this can be done just as easily by hand ).....


Then I sewed all 3 finished plaits together.... 


And simply sewed altogether to form my necklace....


And voila, a pretty necklace to wear on Christmas Day....


I really like the pinkness of it and perfect for this lovely sunny day....


X

3 comments:

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. X