Friday 4 February 2011

I Love A Little Ladybird....

I don't know about you, but I love an old book. I love it even more if it happens to be a child's old book, with pretty pages and sweet nostalgic text. Yes, I am a Ladybird book fan, the older the better. I know for collectors, condition and things like editions, series and dust jackets are very important, and can increase the value somewhat, though for me I am not interested in value. They have far more sentimental value to me and I certainly don't mind them looking a little sorry for themselves.

Here is my little ladybird collection.... ( click on photograph if you want a closer nose )



Do you recognise any you may have....



I think they look so charming gracing  Miss. Poppins' shelf....



She loves to read them, we especially like Danger Men....




Well yesterday, a lovely friend of mine lent me her copy of Homes & Antiques.




As I was having a very pleasurable read I stumbled upon this article all about Ladybird Books. It talks about how these highly nostalgic books are now collectors items with ( in some cases ) a big monetary value too.




As for my little collection, I couldn't help get a little excited and checked out my editions to see if I had any of the higher value items ( what was I saying about them only being of sentimental value ) though of course only for interest, I doubt I would sell any of mine. Tiptoes got me a little excited as the 10th edition ( 1954)  fetches around £45.00. I have Tiptoes and eagerly checked out its credentials. The article goes on to say about how to check out your collections....




How to see if yours is a first edition. Apparently there are dozens of pointers. You need to establish the publication date, and not to be fooled into thinking the 'first published' date on your title shall give you the answer, as this does not guarantee your copy is a first edition. Key dates help, in 1961, the ladybird logo changed from an open-winged bird to the plan view that is more familiar. In 1965, dust jackets were abandoned in favour of matt board covers. And the article goes on to mention many more interesting facts. If like me you love to know the history of your ladybird books you can pop along to Ladybird Fly Away Home  a super place to learn all about your Ladybird books. Or The Wee Web


As for my little collection, one or two have been given as lovely gifts, some from even my own childhood and most bought at no more than 20p from thrift shops and carboots. I have noticed however that even charity shops are popping a couple of pounds now on these sort after items. Quite an increase from the half a crown they used to cost. So, check out your collection, you never know you may have the 'holy grail' of Ladybirds ( if it still exists, as none are known to ) a special run of the 1971 version of  The Computer, approximately 100 copies were produced for the Ministry of Defence with special covers so they didn't looks like children's books. By far the rarest Ladybird book. If you find it, remember me won't you ;0)

X

15 comments:

  1. i sell Ladybird books at poppy and daisy. I had the ones are bought valued and they were worth quite alot - however i sell them much cheaper because i think it would be hard to find people willing to pay alot for them. I've sold quite a few at fairs - people see the ones that they read as a child and are happy to spend a couple of pounds on them. I've kept my faves though xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooH What a fabulous collection you have! I must admit that I too have a huge collection of them! Lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read that article too! I also have a small collection of books as I just love them.
    Jille x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ive got loads of Ladybird books, ill have to have a look! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to get that magazine! I have a growing collection of ladybird books - bought because I love them rather than because they are perfect/valuable etc - however it would be great to know if I've a gem or two.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know what I'll be doing on my next child-free day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting post. I have seen most of those over the years, but my favourites are 'what to look for in spring, summer, autumn and winter'. I love that series.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I'm going to have to get myself a copy of that magazine as I've decided to sell my Ladybird books as I have so many and they were just sitting in boxes and I'd rather they went to a good home!

    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great collection. I sell some of these on my vintage stalls an people always love the nostalgia of them. I have a small collection and used to have loads when I was younger. No doubt they ended up at a charity shop before they became quite so collectable/sought after x

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's lovley to see the ones i remember from my childhood! I love that yours are still enjoyed and read, exactly how it should be!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, new to you blog. I love old books and have quite a collection. I love second-handbook shops and love hunting for books that are old and have that "smell". Just recently my mum gave me 3 Girls Own Annuals from the early 1900's that I just love reading.

    I recognized some of those ladybird books from my childhood. Never thought about collecting them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your blog what lovely things you have on here. i just love the cardi I have the very same one and wear it all the time [we must have good taste] lol!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your blog what lovely things you have on here. i just love the cardi I have the very same one and wear it all the time [we must have good taste] lol!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your blog what lovely things you have on here. i just love the cardi I have the very same one and wear it all the time [we must have good taste] lol!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have lots of Ladybird books too, and I suspect ours are probably worth money too - but like your collection ours are much loved and read frequently. There's something about them, isn't there?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. X