Monday 6 February 2012

The Gruffalo's Child....

It was with eager anticipation that the family and I sat down with a cosy blanket, and a mug of hot chocolate to watch BBC1's animation of The Gruffalo's Child on Christmas Day last year. We all ( especially the five year old ) loved the original Gruffalo animation so very much and couldn't wait to see this. I don't want to give too much away incase you haven't seen it, or read the book but basically some years have passed, and as in the original Gruffalo, the story is told through the squirrel to her little babies who see some footprints they think belong to The Gruffalo. These footprints however are quite small and indeed belong to The Gruffalo's Child, a daughter who ignores her father's warnings of going out in the cold dark night incase she may get a fright from the big, bad, mouse. Then we are then taken on an adventure where she meets the owl, fox and snake who direct her towards the fearsome creature. But what will she make of the mouse when she finally meets him ?

  
 

I have to say we loved it, and although sometimes it is hard to compete with the classic original of a story, for me this really did have it's own charm and certainly we all smiled our way through the 30 minute animation. It was a lovely surprise to be asked if I would like to watch it again on DVD before it's release date, however I did wonder if it would stir all those emotions for a second time. I can gladly report it did. I  love that yes my children enjoyed this, but so did I and for me is a true family watch that anyone from 1-100 can enjoy. I would happily buy this on DVD when it comes out on the 13th of February 2012, and I think a wonderful addition to ones collection of family entertainment.

If you wish to, you can pre order The Gruffalo's Child on DVD here and at £7.49 with a free delivery option, I think a very reasonable price. Also I believe there shall be some competitions run on launch day, February 13th, so you may want to follow The Gruffalo's Child  on Twitter....


X

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a sweet film for children to watch. Thank you for telling us about it today :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading Star, is a lovely litle animation :) x

      Delete
  2. Oh we did the exact same thing at Christmas! We loved it! I'd just bought the toddler the book which she adores! Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think is the snuggling up isn't it, makes watching so much enjoyable. We haven't got the book, so may be one of our one to buy items, thanks for commenting x

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. X