Saturday 25 February 2012

Bathroom Makeover Challenge Update....

As some of you may know I am taking part in a #ckbloggerchallenge in collaboration with Cox & Kings, a travel company who offer some very luxurious tailor-made holiday's I have to decorate a room in my home in an Indian theme with a budget of £250 and need to have it finished by 9th March. There are five other bloggers taking part, you can see who on my post here and a short little weekend holiday abroad is up for grabs for the room who gains the most *likes* between the 12th-25th March on the Cox & Kings facebook page. Being up against some very talented bloggers, one or two who are even professional interior stylists does nothing for my confidence and certainly puts the pressure on a little. Many rooms in my home, have the Mary Poppins look, flowers a plenty, and as I wanted to really go for it, I thought it would be best to makeover the most neutral, untouched room in my home which is the upstairs dormer bathroom. Indeed there is still decorating to be done in there so I thought it ideal. I must have been very tired when I made this decision as I have really double challenged myself on this one. Now if I had indeed picked a living room, or bedroom I could have purchased beautiful throws and wall hangings, gorgeous Indian-esque sculptures and large dramatic mirrors. As it is, I have about as much scope as it would be working on a postage stamp, and have had to really work hard in choosing some of the items for my spacially challenged room.

Here are some little before photographs....


We had already purchased one or two DIY items, wood, paint etc to finish off the little bathroom (which is situated in-between the two children's attic bedrooms ) and I shall be putting in some new temporary flooring for this challenge as I have seen one which I think  hope shall work quite well within the theme. I shall also  be raising the tounge and groove a little and may draft the husband in for the really difficult bits ;) Mr. Poppins who works in architecture designed our attic conversion and drew up the plans etc and opted for a round window in this bathroom ( he has a thing about round windows, maybe from watching play school as a kid ) and each of the attic bedrooms have one.... 


I can tell you from experience though too, that they are a bu**er to wallpaper around and also finding suitable window treatments has proved very difficult. Though mostly I think a lovely design feature and I love that you can see the twinkling stars when having a night time relaxing bath....


  

Now if this was a competition about who has the shiniest taps....



I shall be doing some wallpapering in there, and am so inspired by my lovely Sister In Law's wallpapered bathroom and think is very pretty....


Of course when it actually came to choosing some wallpaper, I just couldn't make my mind up and wanted to search out ones suitable for bathroom use, here is only a little selection of my *maybe* pile ;) ....


You shall be pleased to know I have actually chosen some, it has arrived safely and a little clue is that it is a Harlequin design. I have purchased all the accessories, budget is pretty much all gone and now I just need to crack on with the DIY and put things in their right place. There is something quite motivational about having a deadline as you really have to make the time and just get on with it. I genuinely know am probably the behind runner in this race, and don't really think I have much hope of my bathroom being the most *liked* I just can't compete with the big room reveals that shall be taking place ( think the other bloggers are doing bedrooms, a living room and study ) though I am so looking forward to seeing the other bloggers rooms and we have been chattering away on twitter and we are all having fun with our challenge. 

And I just fell in love with the Indian style of this notebook and pencil set, perfect for some inspirational writing in the bath perhaps....


Ha ha being the enthusiastic shopper that I am, I have lots more items to share with you, and being me, there shall of course be a hint of pink in one or two of them, I just hope they all squeeze in. My budget hasn't really been spent on large items as I just haven't the space for them, though hopefully the accessories I have purchased shall evoke a lovely Indian interior style. Thanks for accompanying me on this make over journey, I really hope you come back for my next update and as I tell my daughter, it really isn't the winning in life, it is the taking part and joining in that counts. Actually I have come to quite like the fact I chose the little bathroom, and to face and conquer the challenges it has brought me. Hopefully she shall feel very proud graced in all her Indian-esque glory :)

X

11 comments:

  1. Wow, I can see myself in that tap. I like you bathroom, it has bood bones. That means it doesn't need much for a really great change. I am looking forward to the after pics. I am not much into FB, but I will (try to remember) to like your revamp.
    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Marianne, ha ha just had another look at the photograph and there I am too in the taps ;) And thank you, am aiming to do another update before the big reveal xx

      Delete
  2. You're certainly not the only one nervous about their room or who they're up against - I have Indian room decor nerves too!

    I love your round windows and having a blank canvas to work with should be a help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comment Cosy Home, and also for sharing the nerves with me a little too ;) I love that it is indeed a blank canvas, just wish that blank canvas it was a little bigger ;)) Good luck with your room! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting. Yes, I'd like to follow on and see how it finishes up. So far it is looking very pretty and once you get the Indian flavours cooking, the atmosphere will be hot, hot, hot (hot pink probably, knowing you!). Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go Girl ! You can do it, great blank canvas to work with and the fact that you choose "A BATHROOM" sorry did I shout then ? its a inspired selection, I just know you will do a wonderful job.

    Good luck lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your lovely comment! We are nearly there, hopefully just one or two finishing touches to do :) xx

      Delete
  6. I am looking forward to seeing the end result, listen girl you have great style, I am a qualified Interior stylist and find your posts really inspiring!

    Best wishes

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww thanks for that lovely comment. I hope I inspire in some small way so thank you. Hope you do like it, although not my normal interior choice have stuck to the brief and hopefully my bathroom now has a true Indian vibe to it :) xx

      Delete
  7. Oh there are massive nerves here too! Like you, 'Indian' isn't a theme I would've chosen for my house so it's been really tricky x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. X