Thursday 2 December 2010

Guest Post By Vanessa Kimbell....

The lovely Vanessa Kimbell whose charming recipe book Prepped! and is due out in May, has asked if she could share one of her delicious recipes with you and of course I adore chocolate so what a perfect recipe to share. Enjoy her post :0)

Chocolate Cookies In A Jar 

This year, more than any other year I am having to be careful about what I spend. I gave up my job to write a cookery book. More so than any other year I have also noticed that we don't really want for anything. I've enough handbags, scarves and perfume to last me quite some time. What I need though is for my children to understand the importance of giving something made with love, and not to have my usual melt down in January because I over spent in the name of Christmas festivities. Here is my simple, cost effective solution. This recipe is from the book Prepped. Dark, rich and melt in the mouth, these chocolate cookies are so easy you can have the mix out of the jar and in the oven in under 10 minutes - easy peasy ! So for me this is the prefect home made gift!



Makes 24
Preparation 10 minutes
Cooking 10 minutes
Freezes yes

Ingredients
220g self-raising flour
Pinch of salt
120g dark brown sugar
130g caster sugar
45g of cocoa powder
60g roughly chopped walnuts
150g chopped dark chocolate
120g soft butter
1egg

1. Sift the flour and add the salt on a bowl

2. Mix the dark brown sugar and the caster sugar together. Make sure it is well mixed as this stops the brown sugar clumping.

3. Layer the flour, cocoa powder and sugar into a 1L jar. Add the walnuts and chocolate to the top of the jar.

4. You can hand write a label to give the following instructions.

5. To make the cookies pre heat the oven to 175 / 300/ gas mark 4. Tip the contents of the jar into the food mixer. Add the butter and the egg and mix for 2 – 3 minutes, until the mixture is well mixed together.

6. Form the biscuits into walnut size pieces and pop onto a baking sheet.

7. Cook in the oven for 10 – 12 minutes. Remove and leave to harden for a few minutes, as the chocolate needs to set a little, before transferring on to a wire wrack to cool off completely. There is no doubt that these jars make super gifts. But if you keep one handy in the cupboard you can have cookies on the table in 20 minutes flat. You can substitute the sugar for any of the flavored sugars, Lavender, Vanilla, or cardamom to good effect. If you want to replace the chopped chocolate with raisins this gives a fruity and chewy finish to the cookies. The dark chocolate can be substituted for milk or white chocolate. I love to add a ¼ teaspoon of extra cardamom powder and use white chocolate drops at Christmas time.



Vanessa Kimbell

http://www.prepped.co.uk/
recipies@vanessakimbell.com


Thank you Vanessa. I think Vanessa's lovely chocolate cookies would be super also, when cooked, wrapped up in pretty christmas cellophane, a pretty bow and handed over as a sweet christmas gift. Hmmmm can't wait to have a go, and thank you for sharing.
 
X

5 comments:

  1. oh my lordy I must try to make some of these as pressies! Fanbloomintastic idea thanks. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness my diet doesn't start until January (still haven't quite decided which January ;0) )!
    Jille x

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummy!! hmmm, the diet does start in Jan, but i havent shifted any weight from telling myself that last year....how scrummy though so i guess i could...just the one...oh go on, just hand me the lot!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary - poor you up at that time of the morning, i hope it is not because Master Poppins is poorly...

    Thankyou for your lovely comment, it means so much! Yes G has a wicked sense of humour - it has saved his neck many a time when I have been very cross with him!

    I have just read your 37's - very interesting & honest too... Hope your mum in law is getting better from her pneumonia.

    Lx

    ReplyDelete
  5. yum -love to have you link up to my cookie exchange post and be a follower!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. X