Friday 28 September 2012

Simple Pleasures

Howdy! I say howdy as I think I am turning into a texas gal ;) I have become rather obsessed with watching Dallas. I am really enjoying the new series and have also decided that I want to watch all 14, yes 14 seasons of the original series. Oh I am just loving it! I grab a couple of episodes in the evening and maybe if I am lucky squeeze one in early in the morning. I have nearly finished season 3, so quite a bit to go but I LOVE the vintage feel to it and seeing all the old and memorable characters back on screen. It's going to cost me a small fortune to buy all the seasons so I may have to pop a couple on my Christmas list ;) It really feels like a lovely simple pleasure, snuggling up with a soft blanket, cup of hot chocolate and an episode of Dallas.... 

Talking of simple pleasures, I was told a couple of days ago by a lovely online friend about a competition. With only two days left to start and finish, I'd have to get my skates on and even with so many other important things I needed to be getting on with, I of course thought I would join in. Yes yes, I have contracts to sign, people to speak to, talks to prepare, schools to look round....but no I soon put 'playing about with shoe boxes' to the top of my to do list ;) My excuse is that it is a simple, enjoyable pleasure that is relaxing and if there is a VERY slim chance that £500 worth of Cath Kidston vouchers could be spent, well I couldn't not have a go could I. I ummed and ahed about which dream room to choose and decided on a little nursery. As I had only a short time to complete the project, I thought using one of Miss. Poppins tiny shoe boxes from her old much smaller shoes would be perfect. I also dug out some inspirational books and crafty items....


I soon knew this was going to be a baby girl's nursery and certainly wanted it to have a Cath Kidston vibe to it, so I grabbed a little tester pot of baby pink paint, and painted the inside. Then using my favourite CK writing paper which I cut, yes cut up (sob a little) I opted for a patchwork effect wallpaper with ribbon ( again CK ) border....

    
Hmmm then what I thought it needed some pretty flooring, so out came the scissors and the CK wrapping paper....


 I then made the icklest 'in the world' (maybe the Guinness book of records would like to confirm this) bunting from Cath Kidston fabric scraps and a pair of curtains from more CK fabric. I included some bobble trim for a pretty detail. I really love the curtains and both Miss. Poppins and I love that the little room is becoming more like a stage, a bit like a puppet theatre....  


And then when you open the curtains....


This was how it looked late yesterday, and yes the other important stuff took over a little, but I have had time to just pop in a one or two pieces of furniture here and there. Here's the cot with a lightweight patchwork blanket.... 


Above the cot I couldn't resist a special photograph of Miss. Poppins on the shoebox wall when she came home from hospital as a baby. I think this would have been my dream nursery for her at the time....


I made a little button mirror using tiny buttons and an old sweet wrapper....


This pretty floor rug was made from a Cath Kidston (clean) tissue and pink ric rac....


For the nursery door I used a pretty tag that this lovely lady who blog's here sent me last Christmas. Knowing I have a big crush on all things Daisy related, she also sent these beautiful items for Miss. Poppins and I....


Here is the pretty tag/door....


Well this simple pleasure has been a fun distraction from the other important stuff, and hopefully I may get an opportunity to pop a couple more items in the nursery. Miss. Poppins loves playing with her baby Sylvanian's in it and likes drawing the pretty curtains at night....

X  

1 comment:

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. X