Tuesday 5 June 2012

Joyous Jubilee

Hello, I hope you are all enjoying the many jubilee festivities that have been taking place this bank holiday weekend. Like many places in the country we were awash with rain on Sunday and so the jubilee dresses that the husband had bought for myself and Miss Poppins to wear duly stayed on their little hangers. I just love the cheeriness of Miss. Poppins' little number....


Weekends can sometimes be spent doing a little thrifty shopping by myself, though I have been a very good girl and shopping hasn't really interested me too much this Jubilee weekend. I really didn't want to miss a second of the Queen and all the celebrations on the television. Of course I had to make a little purchase or two and I wanted an anniversary tin of biscuits from good old M&S to keep as a  memento. As I heard they were selling out quickly I hot footed it over to see if there were any left as I really wanted the London inspired tin. When I saw there were a couple left on the shelf in the basket the tin went, though as I made my way to pay I noticed this pretty Jubilee tin of shortbread too, I just couldn't resist it so in the basket it went too....


I haven't gone to town in terms of buying jubilee inspired goods as much as I thought I would at all, though there have been a couple of items I had really wanted to get my hands on. One of which was the Jubilee fairy liquid and as soon as I knew they were bringing it out I searched and searched in vain to get some as I just love the original styled bottles and how they remind me of those sweet fairy liquid adverts. I had almost given up when I spied these in Sainsbury's last week....


Oh Joy. And then the husband presented me with one of these last night whilst we had a family barbecue in the garden....


When it was time to settle indoors I doned my very comfy UJ slippers....


   It was indeed a glorious day in sunny Wales yesterday, and such a difference to the previous rainy and windy day. The sky was a lovely clear blue in Conwy.... 


I also made a little appearance this Jubilee weekend on the television. It was a repeat of Bargain Hunt's 10th anniversary edition who thanks to Lindy  I found out it was on yesterday. It seems myself and my love of those candelabras made valuable entertainment and in the words of our expert Paul Laidlaw, was 'Bargain Hunt Gold'. If you are bored and would like a giggle, you can see what the fuss is about here around 1 minute 15 seconds, and 23 minutes and 20 seconds in. I thought the candelabras were very pretty and am so happy I purchased them back off the lovely gentleman who bid his five pounds for the pair. It was a private deal sealed by myself away from the cameras, and in no way influenced by the Bargain Hunt producers. With me giving him ten pounds he was more than happy to have doubled his money and for myself and Mary to have our splendid Bargain Hunt memento's. Here is mine looking rather dashing....


And Mary's taking pride of place in her wonderful home....


Maybe I had it all wrong and they are the ugliest things in all the world. I happen to think even if our expert thought them rather 'tacky' my heart ruled my head when I followed my nose and found them. Maybe it was just meant to be, and the fact they only sold for a tiny £5 meant I could buy them back and I think lovely that we both have them as a memory of the special and fun day we had. I bet these infamous candlebras may be worth more than a fiver now, though of course in my eyes are pricless.

 The beautiful and sunny weather yesterday meant Miss Poppins and I could indeed wear our Jubilee dresses, it was such a beautiful day to wear them and we had a lovely family day, which included  chips by the sea front, ice-cream and chocolate....


So, I hope you have all had a joyous Jubilee, and I for one can't wait to dig into that pretty biscuit tin....

X

20 comments:

  1. Love your frocks and glad you got to wear them! I dashed out yesterday for a jar of Ma'amite that I'd seen on a blog, must look for the Fairy too ... love your blog,

    Hope you've had a great weekend, from your new follower Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claire, Oh yes I saw the Ma'amite too, was tempted ;) For a pound I couldn't resist the fairy liquid :)

      Thanks for popping by x

      Delete
  2. Yes it's been a wonderful weekend. Shame about the weather. I do hope Prince Philip will be okay. We've spent most of it watching tv. It was our 12th Wedding Anniversary on the 3rd but due to the weather we stayed in watched tv and had a Chinese take away for dinner so a lovely lazy day (don't have those very often). Your dresses look great not seen those in the shops. Glad you had a good weekend Hugs Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny, Awww yes poor Prince Philip, I think you could sense she was thinking about him very much whilst at the concert. Thanks for the lovely comment on the dresses, both Asda bargains!
      Xx

      Delete
  3. We have had a great weekend here, despite the weather. I bought myself some of those cans of Pimm's. It is delicious, isn't it?
    Love your dress. Very commemorative. :D
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the weather, you just don't know 'whether' you are coming or going do you ;) We have had a real mix of cosy days in and sunny days out!

      Oh yes and the Pimms is just yum!
      XX

      Delete
  4. Must I have the marmite but that's all think I'll have a look out for some biscuit tins if they have any left also fancy a Cath K tea towel. Your dresses look fab!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I fancy a CK tea towel, you know I haven't bought any CK Jubilee pretties, not like me at all ;)I think the Ma'amite is just the sweetest find!

      xx

      Delete
  5. Looks like you are having a fun time. The candelabras are not to my taste but they look very pretty where you have place them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janice, ha ha yes those candelabra's are quite an aquired taste I think ;) Certainly a talking point in my home ;) x

      Delete
  6. Sounds like you've really had a great time and personally I like the candelabras...a reminder of a bygone age. Do you use them?
    Oh yummy Marmite...ages since I've eaten Marmite...I think it was last year when I visited my sister in Lincolnshire.
    I love hearing about all the Jubilee celebrations.

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Amanda, yes I think those candelabra's mean so much more to me sentimental wise than their worth as such a lovely reminder of my time on Bargain Hunt. I have mine downstairs with candles in but am yet to light them, though would look very dramatic all lit up. I love Marmite and definitely a fan here too.

      xx

      Delete
  7. Happy Diamond Jubilee to you and your family!!! I had the best time watching all the festivities on tv, can't imagine what it would have been like to be in the UK at the time. What a celebration!!! My friend, who lives there, had her own mini flotilla on Saturday afternoon, so much fun to be a part of. So much fun!!!

    Love your sweet dresses and those candleabra's are gorgeous! Love them both!
    Enjoy your week,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Diamond Jubilee to you too Kate :) Was lovely just relaxing with Family to watch all the festivities like you say. The mini flotilla youe friend has sounds just the best. Hope you have an enjoyable week also xx

      Delete
  8. Hello you!
    Catching up with you after a break...
    Goodness I cannot believe how Miss Poppins has grown! You both look fabulous.

    Lx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello lovely Lydia :) Thought of you over the Jubilee especially, as we both wore our Daisy pretties you sent. I just adore them and so does Miss. Poppins :) Oh yes Lydia where does the time go, my baby is blossoming into a young lady in front of my very eyes, *sob just a little bit* Big hugs to you and your lovely family xxxx

      Delete
  9. Aha that's brilliant! I loved seeing you on it! So lovely that you liked and got them back!!!! (I like them too!) Good choices in the memorabilia stakes too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha Kezzie, was such a fun day, win or loose, my time on there shall be a fond memory. Yes I am glad I asked to buy them back, think may have made BH history as don't know if that has been done before. I know the BH team wanted it to be a private deal between me and the chap who originally bought them so thought would just go over and ask, and luckily he said yes :))

      xx

      Delete
  10. I havn't bought anything Jubilee themed yet.I was quite tempted by the jar of Maam-ite in Sainsburys today.
    You both look wonderful in your dresses.
    The candalabra is fab...I would have bought it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Bellaboo, yes the Ma'amite has tempted me many times and also the Golden Syrup. Hopefully they shall be on the shelves for a while yet, so at least I can have another think and pop them in the trolly next time ;))

    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. X