Friday 11 November 2011

I Did It!....

No, I haven't swum the channel, or baked a 10 tiered cake. I have managed to bring this little beauty back to life....


My orchid, my very lovely orchid that was given to me as a lovely birthday gift, over 15 months ago from a lovely lady and I treasure it. When I first received it, it was blooming, and beautiful and everything pretty orchids should be, though I am rubbish, quite rubbish at looking after house plants ( obviously I do something wrong ) so I knew my time with the orchid was going to be short and sweet. It was all too soon, after I had enjoyed all those beautiful flowers, that she withered and started to look pale and I knew the time was near. I tried in vain to have this orchid, this one I loved so very much stay with me, and not end up where all the others end up. I knew they could last for years and years, and so I did what I hope all lovers of house plants do....

I started talking to her....


  Gently and softly at first, so she wouldn't be startled. I asked her to grow big and strong as I so wanted to see her beautiful flowers again one day. I watered her, not too much, not too little, and I talked....


Not everyday, but when I glanced at her in the kitchen I gave her a knowing look, and said hello and occassionally we would have a chat. Yes, yes I know, you all think I am as daft as a brush! Well, slowly but surely she grew stronger and stronger, and the leaves grew, and then I saw one...her first little re-birth of a bud, and then there were more and more and more....I tried not to get too excited, and when I saw that first flower after a year of her being flower-less, I smiled the biggest smile. I can't believe I have done it, after years of trying, but not being able to grow anything, and I mean anything, it really made me well, a little proud.




So, do you think it was the talking....should I carry on with our little chats?

X

9 comments:

  1. Aren't orchids fab, they flower for ages too and if you cut it back again (and talk to it nicely of course)it will re-flower time and time again :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it's just beautiful! Good for you. Love the color. ; )
    ~Michele

    ReplyDelete
  3. This really made me laugh reading this, just what I needed as a pick me up for the dull and dreary Friday afternoon. Such a beautiful flower, your talking seems to have done the trick :) x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, what a nice story - of course you should keep talking to her - it obviously worked!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beaut! Don't know about green fingers, what about a green voice?!
    Whatever you've been doing, keep doing it, it's worked wonders!
    Z xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should! It helped, didn't it. The orchid is very beautiful.
    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love orchids, I have two which are just coming back in to flower for the fourth time. I just snip off the flower spike when it's finished flowering and within a few months it's in flower again, and yes, do keep talking, it certainly helps.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes yes yes!!!!! She loves it when you talk to her! She feels precious and valued and wants to show you that she loves you back!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lol! She's beautiful! Well done you for saving her! I am useless with plants in general!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. X